Thursday, February 21, 2008

Argh. I don't understand the rules!

Todd wrote:
"Time to get another post up there buddy. I'm waiting to hear exciting news about customizing Revit 2009. "

This is my favorite time of year. The new product release season is when I have the most interesting stuff to say about what's coming in the next release - and what it means for you.

That said - there is an aspect of this which always drives me bananas - timing. Depending on what you read and who you ask, I am allowed to start talking about the 2009 products somewhere between February 12th and April 2nd - with potential penalties if I talk too early.

February 12th - Autodesk's World Press Day, where they publicize the products.
March 25th - Marketing Launch Day (where resellers and ISVs are supposed to be able to do outbound marketing communication about 2009 - prior to that, you're only supposed to be responding to inbound queries...)

Autodesk Developer Network publishes one set of guidelines - the beta testing agreement says something else entirely about the dates where you can discuss it, and when I ping Product Managers directly on the topic - it all seems different.

It's obvious that the world has changed though - people started blogging about all the new features instantly... Maybe that's OK? Maybe that's just how the world works today in the blog-centric world... But as someone who would prefer not to be shut out of future beta testing - it's frustrating to be told "wait until April 2nd"... At the same time, no one that I talk to seems sure - so it's all still being worked out.

So anyway - I've got a raft of posts all queued up and ready to go - but I'm waiting for the go ahead to be able to post them...

-Matt

1 comment:

Todd M. Shackelford said...

I'm sure it will be worth the wait Matt. Better safe than sorry.